Friday, January 22, 2010

Darkman - 3.5/5

"If you're not going to kill me... I have things to do." --Julie

Firstly, I dig comic book movies. Even if the comic is popular, underrated, overrated, or non-existant, I love the over the top and fun that comic book movies can bring. Thusly, having one of my all time favorite directors, Sam Raimi, direct and co-write a move in this format is pretty much golden for me. Yeah, "Darkman" many not be the most coherent film but I'll be damned if I don't have a great time watching it.

"Darkman" is the story of nerdy science guy whom is massively burned and has his life destroyed by corrupt mobsters and businessmen as they push forward with their new projects. Having his pain nerves severed during his coma this 'john doe' no longer feels pain and uses his research in synthetic skin to strike back at the forces that created him as the monster.

Once again, its Raimi's odd ball humor and style that makes this film worth its weight in film. The odd colors, the ridiculous camera shots, and the dark and off beat humor have me smiling from beginning to end on "Darkman". This could be seen as a slightly Science Fictiony and darker version of something like "Dick Tracy" in style and it just sits perfect for me in those aspects. Some of the story seems a bit rushed (especially towards the end with the corporate baddie and his somewhat wishy washy back story) and I almost could have seen this movie even a bit darker. I kind of wish they played up his intense emotional responses a bit more...the carnival scene works nicely but its kind of run down by the ridiculousness that follows. The acting is nicely over-the-top with regards to Liam Neeson's nice quirky work and the overly cliche baddie mobster Durant (played by Larry Drake).

Overall, there is lots to love about this film, but little that is going to make it a film that deserves a lot of respect. It's a fun and dark romp but its nothing too intense that it's going to change your life. Love it for what it is, even if it is somewhat outrageous. 


Written By Matt Reifschneider

No comments:

Post a Comment